Friday, May 16, 2008

How Far Would You Go For Love?

With the exception of King Kong, my last three relationships (including the one I’m in now) have all been long distance.

The one with The Mad Scientist only lasted a few months, while the one with Mr. Corkscrew dragged on for six years. Still, I only saw him on three separate occasions within that time period, so it doesn’t really count as a true long distance affair.

I had no idea how difficult these sorts of relationships are. To think, I actually believed it would be relatively effortless with me 2,000 miles away from Mr. Corkscrew. “I love to travel and it would be good to rack up some frequent flyer miles,” I told him over coconut and banana pancakes one February morning. Seriously, I don’t like to travel that much.



It’s only been two months with The Electrician and already I’m racking up tons of mileage, hotel bills and, to my chagrin, speeding tickets, just going to visit him every other week. Really, your whole way of thinking has to change in order to make a long distance relationship work. At the very least, you have to work on your aversion to Cracker Barrel (it's everywhere and, sadly, one of the most appealing options off highway 70). I’m suddenly coveting reviews on hotels.com and looking forward to finding out what kind of tiny shampoo bottles await me at each stop. What have I become?

My weekends used to be about art films, farmers markets and buckwheat crepes, and now they’re about cornfields and chain restaurants.

So far, I’ve put in about 1500 miles for the prospect of love. I wonder, is that too far or not far enough?

1 comment:

Julie Ridlon said...

having experience in long distance relationships as well as long term marriage they both have their upsides and downsides.....what it comes down to is how much you both want it to work.
You'll know when it's too much.